Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Gluten-free bread: Udi's Whole Grain Loaf vs. Glutino Mutigrain

Both of these products are available (frozen) at Superstore.

Test:  Slices were warmed until dry in a toaster oven, but not toasted.  Nutella and banana for my daughter, turkey, mayo and mustard for me.

Verdict:  Near-tie.  They are different from each other but both good.  My daughter preferred the Udi's, but I actually ate both samples together.  I suppose, given a choice, I'd do Udi's, but Glutino would still be perfectly acceptable.

"Whole Grain" aside, the Udi's is a bit more like white bread.  The crusts are  bit stiff; slices are ever-so-slightly smaller.  But it does taste good.  A little dry, possibly, or maybe slightly powdery.

The Glutino tasted good as well, but a bit more like corn bread to me.  It is a little more grainy after chewing, like fresh corn bread is.  (Maybe it is corn bread! I didn't look.)  So I would say it tastes closer to 60% whole wheat bread than Udi's.  If that's a taste you like, possibly this one is for you.

Udi's was $7 for 340g, Glutino was $6 for 400g.  YMMV.


So far that is two hits for Udi's - bread and hot dog buns.  It's beat President's Choice (buns) and Glutino (bread).  I hope to pick up some alternative hamburger buns to give Udi's another challenge.

Lunch is over, back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment