Sunday, June 5, 2016

GF Pancakes - Bob's Red Mill vs. Bisquick Gluten-Free Baking Mixes

See my standard ground rules for reviews here.


Pancakes are always a favorite with my kids.  As we transition to a GF diet, as well as GF camping, I wanted my pancakes.  Time to experiment.

A (very) quick trip to the store netted only two mixes:
-  Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Biscuit And Baking Mix (680g)
-  Bisquick Gluten Free Variety Baking Mix (454g)


I am aware that Bob's has a dedicated pancake mix; I could not find it for this review.

I am also aware that Bob's "recently" changed their recipe. I do not know if the one we tried was the "old" or "new". 

Per a "trick" on the net, I mixed the Bisquick with ONLY the milk and let it sit for 15 minutes before cooking.  I did not try it the other way so I don't know if it made a difference or not.  If I ever find out, I will try and update.

Verdict:  Both my daughter and I preferred the Bisquick mix.  The Bob's was by no means bad, but it did have a slightly odd taste that I could not identify.  The Bisquick was neutral and had a good consistency; definitely not "heavy" or gritty.  If you didn't say anything, I doubt most would identify it as GF.

The Bisquick was rather thick, so I didn't pour it into the pan so much as squash it.  But this worked fine and the result was worth it.

Do watch the cakes while they cook.  The mix does not bubble well, so it's hard to use that as a guideline.  A slightly lower heat might also be in order; you'll have to experiment.

It is an expensive mix, and each box makes perhaps 15 pancakes, as a guess.  There are no estimates on the box, which is a pity for comparison shoppers.  I'm guessing that's half because it's a multipurpose mix and half because the manufacturer doesn't want you to know how little you're actually getting.  (I do not blame them, however - it's up to the consumer to decide if the product is worth it or not.)

Until we find a less expensive mix, I expect this will be our GF go-to for pancakes from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment